Chico fire fighters Lani Bangay (left) and James Lucanic (right) hose down hotspots after quickly knocking down an attic fire at 811 Coit Tower Way on Saturday in Chico. The fire was contained to the attic but caused about $25,000 in damages to the home.(Jason Halley/Staff Photo)
All Chico E-R pics are available here.
CHICO — An attempt to remove spider webs ended with a charred home at about 1 p.m. Saturday.
Eiliya Maida used a propane blowtorch to clear cobwebs in the backyard of his 811 Coit Tower Way home before dry plants ignited and started an attic fire, stated George Basbous, Maida’s brother-in-law. While Maida went into the front yard unaware, Basbous noticed smoke rising from the top of the house.
“And that is when I went crazy,” Basbous said.
Maida’s wife, Jiana Maida, and their two infant boys were outside by the time the fire had spread, and no injuries were reported.
Basbous called 9-1-1 and emergency responders were dispatched by 12:55 p.m.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze by slicing a hole in the roof to draw the fire upward, stated Chief Keith Carter of Chico Fire. Without the hole, the fire would have “mushroomed” and spread farther sideways in the attic.
Damages totaled $25,000 and also left the family displaced because of destroyed electrical wiring, Fire Inspector Marie Fickert said. The family is currently without insurance.
Smoke detectors did not set off until 5 minutes after Basbous called 9-1-1, most likely because the fire was either outside or above the detectors until smoke reached them, she said.
Five engines and one truck responded — three from the Chico Fire Department and two from Cal Fire — along with a First Responder ambulance and volunteers from Chico Fire Company 1.
The prompt response from fire fighters minimized
“We are so pleased that Chico Fire Station 5 has reopened because that gave us a faster response,” she said.
Staff writer Anthony Siino can be reached at 896-7758, firstname.lastname@example.org and on Twitter at @AnthonySiino.
- ODD NEWS: Rare diplodocus dinosaur sells for $650000 at British auction
- Weird News: The Ridiculous Thanksgiving Weekend Edition
- Weird News: Blind Man Booted from Flight; UFO Claim In Suffolk
- Weird News: X-Ray Candy, Lint-Based Vandalism, BB Gun Bandits, Raccoons …
- Odd News: Platypus Trapped in Car Engine Miraculously Survives a 15 KM …
- Weird News: Cheer up, Grumpy Cat, you have an endorsement deal
- Odd news: Superheroes rescue cat, lawyer busted for wearing sneakers
- Weird News: Wis. man with unusual name is charged in Iowa
- Weird News: Adams County farmer’s corn crop yields four-headed ear
- Weird News: Iowa man selling coffin gets questions about bones
Submited at Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 6:15 pm on Uncategorized by Cinthia
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback